- Copyright © Simon Bayliss - Red Dust Snow 2008-20 Simon Bayliss - Red Dust Snow
- Last Updated: 23 May 2020 23 May 2020
- Visitors: 16986 16986
Darling River Towns
Tilpa, NSW, located on the western bank of the Darling River, is a must for a stopover while on the Darling River Run, whether you have a few hours or a few days for camping and fishing on the Darling River.
The area of the west was once referred to by Henry Lawson by "Tis said the land out west is grand, do not care who says it", ('The Paroo River' 1893). Mr Lawson certainly knew how to eloquently sum up the outback and those that venture down the Darling River and through Outback NSW cannot help but agree, the land out west IS grand.
The old pub is a true classic and has been welcoming travellers and locals for over 100 years. The walls of this timber and corrugated iron pub are covered with graffiti of written by visitors who make a gold coin donation to the Royal Flying Doctor Service for the privilege. The graffiti which makes for an intriguing read while having a cold beer and a chat to the locals and other fellow travellers.
Originally a busy port servicing the river trade and local agriculture, Tilpa was a 'crossroad' in the outback as the bridge of the river served as a stock crossing and port for the wool clip being transported down to Wentworth and onto either Echuca or Adelaide.
The McClures call Kallara Station “the accessible outback” as it is central to the historic River Ports of Bourke and Wilcannia and the outback mining towns of Cobar and White Cliffs.
Tilpa distinguishes itself in a few unique ways:
- It has the only Boer War memorial that includes a commemorative to Harry (The Breaker) Morant.
- It also has the shortest heritage trail in Australia comprising just two signs on either side of the main road.
- The Tilpa cemetery is the only one in Australia with no one in it.
Tilpa is a great stopover point for a quick refresher, meal or even a few days fishing before exploring upstream to Louth or venturing downstream to Wilcannia while doing the Darling River Run.
Tilpa Visitor Information:
- Tilpa See & Do:
- Darling River
- Tilpa heritage trail
- Boer War memorial
- Sunset Lookout
- Tilpa cemetery Drive-in Theatre
- Getting to Tilpa (Car):
- From Brisbane: 1,105km
- From Sydney: 875km
- From Melbourne: 1,045km
- From Adelaide: 845km
- Tilpa Information Centre (Wilcannia):
- Reid Street, Wilcannia NSW 2836
- Telephone: 02 8083 8910