- Copyright © Simon Bayliss - Red Dust Snow 2008-20 Simon Bayliss - Red Dust Snow
- Last Updated: 15 July 2020 15 July 2020
- Visitors: 16249 16249
Wanaaring, Outback NSW
Corner Country, Outback Australia
On the banks on the Paroo River, 240 kilometres to the east of Tibooburra, and 195 kilometres north-west of the Darling River township of Bourke, is the village of Wanaaring. Established in the 1880s, the town provided services to the large sheep properties of the time. Once, wool scouring, or wool washing, was carried out on the banks of the river. Long gone, reminders of those times can be found among the memorabilia on the river banks.
Today, the township today provides services to the outlying station properties, and to the travellers passing this way, to or from the Corner Country.
Wanaaring See & Do...
- Fish for yellow belly
- Cast a net for yabbies
- Play golf with the locals
- Take a tour of a bee farm, and take home some honey
- Explore the historic Cemetery
- Visit the RFDS Clinic
- Walk along the Paroo River